I am a researcher passionate about making air transportation more open and more sustainable . Currently, I am an assistant professor at TU Delft, working and researching in the domain of air traffic management at the Aerospace Engineering Faculty.
I am also one of the Principal Investigators for the Sustainable Aviation Lab, at the Aerospace Engineering Faculty at TU Delft, dealing with aviation environmental impact assessment and providing solutions to reduce flight emissions.
I have authored the book The 1090 Megahertz Riddle. I enjoy creating open-source tools, including pyModeS and OpenAP, which are among the most popular open tools for air traffic management research.
- Air traffic management
- Aviation sustainability
- Data science and AI
- Emission modeling, assessment, and mitigation
- Policy for future air-ground transport
- AE4321 (2020-): Air Traffic Management
- CS4305TU (2020-): Applied Machine Learning
- TI3150TU (2021-): Capstone Applied AI project
- AE2223 (2017-): Test, Analysis and Simulation
- AE3200 (2020): Design Synthesis
- 2019 - present: Assistant Professor, Delft University of Technology, the Netherlands
- 2019 (Feb-Jul): Postdoc Researcher, Delft University of Technology, the Netherlands
- 2015 - 2019: PhD Researcher, Delft University of Technology, the Netherlands
- 2012 - 2015: Academic Program Coordinator, International Space University, Strasbourg, France
- 2011 - 2012: Aerospace Researcher, ASCAMM Technology Centre, Barcelona, Spain
- 2007 - 2011: Aerospace Engineer & IT Manager, Barcelona Aerospace Technology Centre, Spain
- 2015 - 2019: Ph.D. in Air Traffic Management, Delft University of Technology, the Netherlands. (dissertation: Open aircraft performance modeling)
- 2007 - 2010: M.Sc. of Aerospace Science and Technology, Polytechnic University of Catalonia, Barcelona.
- 2003 - 2007: B.Sc. of Electronic and Information Technology, Beijing University of Post and Telecommunication, Beijing, China.
Awards and scholarships
- 2022: Embassy Science Fellowship, Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs (more info)
- 2020: Best paper award, 9th International Conference on Research in Air Transportation
- 2019: Young Scientist Award 2019, SESAR Joint Undertaking (more info)
- 2017: Best paper award, 12th USA/Europe Air Traffic Management Research and Development Seminar
- 2012: Young Leadership Award, Space Generation Advisory Council
- TU Delft data champion / open science community member (2019-present)
- Workers council, AE personnel committee member (2020-present)
- OpenSky Symposium: general chair (2022), program chair (2021), program committee (2020-present)
- Open Aviation Data initiative
- Co-creators and main editor of Journal of Open Aviation Science (tba. Summer 2022)